Prizes and Awards
§ Fellow of the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) (for contributions to fuzzy logic systems)
§ IEEE Computational Intelligence Society (CIS) Distinguished Lecturer (2016-2018)
§ Awarded by the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society, the 2013 Outstanding Paper Award in the IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems which is the most prestigious international publication award in the field. The award was for the paper entitled “Towards General Type-2 Fuzzy Logic Systems based on zSlices,” by Christian Wagner and Hani Hagras, IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, Vol. 18, pp. 637-660, August 2010.
§ Awarded in cooperation with British Telecom (BT) The 2015 Global Telecoms Business Innovation Awards under the Business Service Innovation Category. The award was for the project entitled “Work Area Optimization for Telecoms Engineers”
§ Awarded by the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society, the 2004 Outstanding Paper Award in the IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems which is the most prestigious international publication award in the field. The award was for my single authored paper entitled “A Hierarchical Type-2 Fuzzy Logic Control Architecture for Autonomous Mobile Robots”.
§ I founded and Chaired (2008-2010) the Egypt IEEE Computational Intelligence Society (CIS) Chapter which was awarded by the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society (CIS) the 2011 IEEE CIS Outstanding Chapter Award.
§ Awarded the Best Paper Award in the 36th International Conference of the BCS SGAI International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Cambridge, December 2016 for our paper entitled “A Genetic Algorithm Based Approach for the Simultaneous Optimisation of Workforce Skill Sets and Team Allocation” by A. Starkey, H. Hagras, S. Shakya, G. Owusu, Proceedings of the SGAI International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Cambridge, December 2016.
§ warded the Best Paper Award in the 2012 UK Workshop for Computational Intelligence, Edinburgh, UK, September 2012 for the paper entitled “A General Type-2 Fuzzy Logic Approach for Adaptive Modeling of Perceptions for Computing With Words” By A. Bilgin, H.Hagras, A. Malibari, M. Alhaddad, D. Alghazzawi “
§ Our paper entitled “A Type-2 Fuzzy Logic Based System for Linguistic Summarization of Video Monitoring in Indoor Intelligent Environments” which I co-authored with my student Bo Yao and Daniyal Alghazzawi and Mohammed J. Alhaddad has been awarded the Best Student Paper Award in the 2014 IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems which was held with the 2014 IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, Beijing, China, July 2014. This is the most prestigious international conference in the field computational intelligence
§ Our paper entitled “Using Uncertainty Bounds in the Design of an Embedded Real-Time Type-2 Neuro-Fuzzy Speed Controller for Marine Diesel Engines” which I co-authored with my student Christopher Lynch and Victor Callaghan has been awarded the Best Student Paper Award in the 2006 IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems, Vancouver, Canada, July 2006. This is the most prestigious international conference in the field.
§ Awarded by the Adjudication panel for the IET Knowledge Network Awards, the Technical & Professional Networks Award for the IET International Conference on Intelligent Environments which was recognised as the best IET event in 2006/7.
§ Acted as the Principal Investigator for a project which was Awarded by the 2011 UK Best Knowledge Transfer Partnership for London and the East Region. This is the most prestigious National Award for knowledge transfer. The project was done in a partnership between the University of Essex and Logicalglue Ltd.
§ Acted the Principal Investigator for a project which was Awarded the Lord Stafford Award Achievement in Innovation Award for East of England. The award is given to a project which demonstrates the greatest potential for an innovative product or service that was developed between a University and company, where the product or service has been prototyped and is market ready. The project was done in a partnership between the University of Essex and IP4 Ltd. The project has developed a ground breaking intelligent data analysis and decision support system. The developed system could revolutionize the way major corporations do business.
§ Shortlisted by the Times Higher as the Young Researcher of the Year.
§ Led and Supervised the Team of the German University in Cairo to Win the First place in the RoboCup 2010 (Festo Logistics League), Singapore, June 2010
§ Led and Supervised the Team of the German University of Cairo to Win the 2nd place in RoboCup 2009, Graz, Austria (Festo Hockey Challenge Category), July 2009.
· Fellow of the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) (for contributions to fuzzy logic systems)
· Fellow of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET)
· Chair of the Communications Subcommittee within the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Conferences Committee (2013-2015)
· Chair of the IEEE CIS Task Force on Intelligent Agents (2007-2008)
· Chair of the IEEE International Task Force on Extensions to Type-1 Fuzzy Sets. (2006-Present)
· Served in IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Chapter Subcommittee (2008)
· Invited for develop an online Tutorial in the IEEE Expert now programme entitled “Type-2 Fuzzy Logic Controllers: Towards a New Approach for Handling Uncertainties in Real World Environments”
§ Invited by the IEEE to join the Humanitarian Technology Challenge project which is a partnership between the IEEE and the United Nations Foundation (UN) targeted at developing technological solutions to some of the greatest challenges facing public health and disaster response workers today.
· Member of the IEEE CIS (Computational Intelligence Society) Fuzzy Systems Technical Committee (FSTC). (2006-Present)
· Member of the IEEE IES (Industrial Electronics Society) Technical Committee of the Building Automation, Control and Management (2006-2013).
· Member of the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Technical Committee on Emergent Technologies (2007-2015)
· Invited Keynote speech in the 2017 International Workshop on Artificial Intelligence Techniques for Data Mining & Big Data, Pamplona, Spain, 4-7 April 2017.
· Invited Keynote speech in the Eleventh International Workshop on Fuzzy Logic and Applications, Naples, Italy, December 2016.
· Invited Keynote speech in the Computational Intelligence Summer School, Tunisia, November 2016.
· Invited Speech in the 2014 University of Granada, Spain Experts Seminar Series in Intelligent Systems, Granada, Spain, February 2014.
· Invited Speech in the 2013 Brazilian Congress on Computational Intelligence, Recife, Brazil, September 2013
· Invited to give a Plenary Keynote Speech in the 9th International Conference on Intelligent Systems Design and Application, Pisa, Italy, December 2009.
· Invited to give a Plenary Keynote Speech in the 2011 International Conference on Adaptive and Intelligent Systems (ICAIS’11)”, Klagenfurt, Austria, September 2011.
· Invited to give a keynote speech in the International Conference on Digital Lifestyles and Systems, Tainan, Taiwan, June 2008.
· Invited to give a keynote speech in the 2008 International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Uncertainty handling, Ismailia, Egypt, July 2008.
· Invited speech in the workshop on Emergent Application of Computational Intelligence in Computer Go held within the 2010 IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence (WCCI 2010), Barcelona, Spain, July 2010.
· Member of the Executive Committee of the IET (The institution of Engineering and Technology) Robotics and Mechatronics Professional Network. (2005-2009).
· Associate Editor for the Following Journals